Update COVID-19 (3:30pm 18 March 2020)

Basketball Hawthorn is working at pace to address a range of strategic and operational issues that have arisen as a result of COVID-19 Coronavirus.

We will provide an update on our strategic and medium to long-term approach following a meeting with Domestic Club delegates which will be held this evening.

In the interim, we wanted to communicate some decisions we have made in relation to Summer Season 2019/20 and also to provide an update following a stakeholder meeting with Basketball Victoria yesterday.

In needing to be compliant with the current State of Emergency and suspension of competitions by Basketball Victoria, BH has determined the following:

Domestic Competitions

  1. The Summer 2019/20 Season has been deemed to have concluded. Despite no semi finals or grand finals being played, we want players to feel a sense of conclusion to their season. While not a perfect solution, we will officially deem that the top two teams from the Home & Away ladder are the Premiers and Runners Up respectively. We will communicate further to acknowledge these winners over the coming days and weeks. No medals/trophies will be conferred for this season. 
  2. At this stage we are planning for the Winter 2020 season to take place, subject to the lifting of suspensions of play by Basketball Victoria and suitable risk management strategies being in place. Basketball Victoria has said no basketball will be played until at least April 17.
  3. Given that the suspension of play will last until at least mid-April, we are planning for the Winter season to commence on May 2. We will continue to monitor the situation and determine the length of the season and number of matches to be played in coming weeks. More specific information will be provided to Clubs this evening.
  4. If any Clubs / teams have yet to register we encourage you to do so ASAP for the Winter season, so that you don’t miss out when we get the competition up and running once the suspension is lifted.
  5. Should Basketball Victoria extend its suspension, or the State Government extend the state of emergency, then BH Board and Management will review this and alter the current plan as necessary.
  6. The Board is very determined that we resume competition as soon as there is an opportunity to do so.

School Holiday Programs & Coaching Clinics

  1. These will not proceed. Any bookings will be carried forward and the clinics will be held over the next school holidays. When new dates are announced, if players are unavailable and parents require a refund, it can be sought then. 

VJBL

  1. It was intimated at the Basketball Victoria meeting this week (though not officially confirmed) that – whenever the suspension of play is lifted – it would hope to be in a position to re-commence VJBL matches within two weeks of the suspension lifting.
  2. No decisions have yet been made about the status of the National Junior Classic in June nor the National Championships in October.

Big V

  1. It was intimated at the Basketball Victoria meeting (though not officially confirmed) that – whenever the suspension of play is lifted – it would hope to be in a position to re-commence Big V matches within four weeks of the suspension lifting.
  2. As a result of the potential prolonged suspension of play for our Big V players, BH has made the executive decision to send our three Big V Magic imports home to the USA. They might not represent Hawthorn Magic in the Big V competition this season.

The current situation with regard to COVID-19 is extremely dynamic, and unprecedented. We ask for your understanding, for your patience, and for your support as we navigate these uncharted waters. We hope that you will share our ambition to see our programs to recommence as soon as possible once we are able.