Basketball Hawthorn is thrilled to have our competitions and programs back in 2021. This page will continue to be updated to assist all members to understand the most current guidelines in place.
COVID remains a part of our daily lives and something we all must continue to be diligent with. Basketball Hawthorn continues to work with Basketball Victoria and the Victorian government health advice to ensure members safety is our highest priority. As the COVID landscape and circumstances can change rapidly, we encourage all teams to follow us on our website and social channels to remain up to date with any late-breaking developments. We will of course continue to liaise with clubs, teams and program participants as usual.
Thursday 18 July 2021:
Basketball Victoria Return To Sport Update
The Victorian Government, on the advice from the Department of Health, has enacted a five-day lockdown effective as of Thursday 15 July at 11.59pm.
In line with Victorian Government health directives, basketball in Victoria will be placed under the RED-0 REACTIVATION LEVEL until at least Tuesday 20 July at 11:59pm.
Subsequently, Basketball Hawthorn has suspended all competitions and programs effectively immediately until further notice.
Basketball Hawthorn will provide updates as information is forthcoming from the Victorian Government and Basketball Victoria.
We appreciate your understanding and patience and will continue to keep you updated as the situation develops. For now, Basketball Hawthorn encourages all members to follow health advice and remain safe.
Follow public health advice and also please notify Basketball Hawthorn at covid19@hawthornbasketball.
For more information about current COVIDSafe settings and the vaccination program, please visit www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au.
Domestic & Representative Teams impacted by Local Exposure Sites: https://www.hawthornbasketball.com.au/covid-update-sunday-18-july-domestic-representative-teams-impacted-by-local-exposure-sites/
Basketball Victoria COVID-Safe Guidelines
Under Basketball Victoria’s Return to Sport Guidelines, basketball is operating under COVID-Safe guidelines. Current guidelines and health advice:
– If you feel unwell, stay home
– Social Distancing rules still apply and should be observed where practical.
– Face Masks are currently mandatory for all patrons over 12 years of age at all times indoors unless medically exempt. Players, coaches and referees are exempt while on court participating in an exertive role, however, must be worn while not playing and on entry and exit of stadium.
– QR Codes are mandatory for all non-registered players. This includes parents, coaches and team managers. These will be displayed at the entrance to all facilities.
– Spectator Attendance should be kept to an absolute minimum, recommended no more than 1 person per player. Coaches and team managers are included in this ratio.
– Hand Sanitiser & Wipes will be in use for equipment and patrons at all venues.
– Venue Specific Guidelines may be in place at certain locations. Basketball Hawthorn will endeavour to ensure all venue specific information is readily available and clearly communicated to members.
Note – Methodist Ladies College (MLC) still maintains a no parent or spectator policy. Only players, officials, supervisors, coaches, team managers and one scorer per team are permitted on site. The venue is not in use for Saturday competitions.
– Uniforms must be provided by teams. Basketball Hawthorn will not be in a position to loan out singlets or bibs for health and safety reasons.
Junior Basketball Guidelines
In addition to guidelines set by the Victorian Government and Basketball Victoria, Basketball Hawthorn advises the following for junior domestic competitions:
– 45-Minute Time Slots: Our junior competitions return to the traditional 45mins time slot allocation. With this comes an increased need for social awareness in terms of venue congestion and patronage. Basketball Hawthorn advises the following guidelines should be observed:
– Before Mach: do not enter the venue more than 10mins prior to your scheduled start time.
– After Match: collect belongings and leave the venue immediately at the conclusion of the match. Post-game activities, such as coaches speech, should be conducted outside in a safe/suitable area.
– Entry / Exit Points: observe any specific signage regarding entry and exit points at each venue.
By following these guidelines you are helping us safeguard our sport and ensure our players can continue to participate in the sport they love.
VENUE: Methodist Ladies College (MLC)
Methodist Ladies College has specific COVID-Safe guidelines in place for use of their facilities by sports organizations including Basketball Hawthorn;
No Parents or Spectators are permitted on site.
Only players, officials, supervisors, coaches, team managers and one scorer per team are permitted on site.
This applies to all Basketball Hawthorn programs and members including Hawthorn Magic and domestic competitions. Current programs this directly affects include:
– Tuesday Women domestic competition
– U18 domestic competitions
– U23 domestic competitions
– Sunday Mixed domestic competitions
– Junior & Senior Magic training
Parents/guardians are advised that players be dropped off at Fitzwilliam Street gate and they can either be collected by their coach/team manager or walk down to the PEC on their own.
Basketball Hawthorn will keep members up-to-date with the latest details via email, social media and our website