Basketball Hawthorn is thrilled to have our competitions and programs back in 2021. This page will continue to be updated to assist all members to understand the most current guidelines in place.
COVID remains a part of our daily lives and something we all must continue to be diligent with. Basketball Hawthorn continues to work with Basketball Victoria and the Victorian government health advice to ensure members safety is our highest priority. As the COVID landscape and circumstances can change rapidly, we encourage all teams to follow us on our website and social channels to remain up to date with any late-breaking developments. We will of course continue to liaise with clubs, teams and program participants as usual.
Tuesday 17 August:
Lockdown Extended Until Thursday 2 September
The Victorian Government, on advice from the Department of Health, has extended the lockdown restrictions for Greater Melbourne with these measures remaining in place until 11:59pm on Thursday 2 September.
In line with Victorian Government health directives, basketball in Greater Melbourne will remain at the RED-0 REACTIVATION LEVEL as per the Basketball Victoria Return to Sport Guidelines.
Basketball Hawthorn will continue to provide updates as information is forthcoming from the Victorian Government and Basketball Victoria.
Once again, we appreciate your understanding and patience, and will continue to keep you updated as the situation develops. For now Basketball Hawthorn encourages all members to follow the health advice and remain safe.
For more information about current COVIDSafe settings and the vaccination program, please visit www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au
Mental Health Support
This is a challenging period for all in the community. There are a number of resources to help assist you during these difficult times, including the Welcome to Head to Health website – which helps you find digital mental health and wellbeing resources, for yourself or for those in your community – as well as VicHealth’s list of Ten go-to mental health organisations for young people.
Basketball Victoria COVID-Safe Guidelines
In line with Victorian Government health directives, associations in Victoria will be able to operate at a capacity level suitable for their stadiums, up to the ORANGE-50 REACTIVATION LEVEL within Basketball Victoria’s Return to Sport Guidelines.
– If you feel unwell, stay home
– Social Distancing rules still apply and should be observed where practical.
– Face Masks are currently mandatory for all patrons over 12 years of age at all times indoors unless medically exempt. Players, coaches and referees are exempt while on court participating in an exertive role, however, must be worn while not playing and on entry and exit of stadium.
– QR Codes are mandatory for all non-registered players. This includes parents, coaches and team managers. These will be displayed at the entrance to all facilities.
– Hand Sanitiser & Wipes will be in use for equipment and patrons at all venues.
– Spectator Attendance should be kept to an absolute minimum, recommended no more than 1 person per player. Coaches and team managers are included in this ratio. Where additional venue specific policies are in place these must be observed.
– Venue Specific Guidelines may be in place at certain locations. Basketball Hawthorn will endeavour to ensure all venue specific information is readily available and clearly communicated to members.
– Uniforms must be provided by teams. Basketball Hawthorn will not be in a position to loan out singlets or bibs for health and safety reasons.
Venue Specific Guidelines
Basketball Victoria’s Return to Sports Guidelines extend to any league or competition managed by Basketball Victoria or an Association. Provided the venue has the ability to accommodate the number of people within their Venue Capacity Limits, 1 Parent or Guardian may accompany an U18 athlete if required, ensuring that only the minimum number of people required to participate are present for that purpose.
Methodist Ladies College (MLC)
Methodist Ladies College has specific COVID-Safe guidelines in place for use of their facilities by sports organizations including Basketball Hawthorn;
No Parents or Spectators are permitted on site.
Only players, officials, supervisors, coaches, team managers and one scorer per team are permitted on site.
Parents/guardians are advised that players be dropped off at Fitzwilliam Street gate and they can either be collected by their coach/team manager or walk down to the PEC on their own.
MULTIPLE SITES (effective 29/07/21):
Boroondara Sports Complex
Carey Sports Complex
The above named facilities have guidelines limiting access to participants and essential patrons only. The following guidelines should therefore be observed:
– Parent / guardians are encouraged to adopt a ‘Drop & Go’ approach.
– Each team can have 1 x coach and 1 x team manager.
– Only absolutely essential patrons above this should remain where necessary for child safety and wellbeing.
– All other guidelines noted above including QR Codes and Face Masks must be observed.
Basketball Hawthorn will keep members up-to-date with the latest details via email, social media and our website